The mission of the Iowa DOT is to get you there safely, efficiently and conveniently. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day.
$59,883.20 - $92,747.20 Annually
Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
645 Iowa Department of Transportation
4/16/2023 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact
Jimmy Ellis, Jimmy.Ellis@iowadot.us
- Job Description
Only applicants who meet the Minimum Qualification Requirements and meet all selective requirements (listed below) will be placed on the eligible list.
The Core Focus of the Iowa DOT is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfzUqeUz0A
This position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
Travel: This position may require some inspection site travel.
Shift: Days, Monday through Friday. Flex available.
Contributing to Our Core Focus:
The Transportation Engineer Associate will work in a variety of civil engineering capacities within the Bureau, including:
- Assists licensed engineers to develop preliminary bridge and culvert plans in the preliminary section of the Bridges and Structures Bureau. This includes performing hydrologic and hydraulic design and analysis of various types of less complex highway structures. These highway structures include bridges and culverts.
- Make inspections and write reports containing recommendations and estimates on structures that must be repaired or reconstructed to maintain serviceability of the highway system.
- Provide support to the supervising engineer for timely solutions to construction and maintenance problems involving hydraulic design, stream instability and drainage issues.
- Review plans that are submitted by consulting engineers and outside agencies for approval to ensure projects meet hydraulic and design guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Professional Development – May work on special projects and/or for other offices/districts across the Department as assigned to gain experience beneficial to become eligible to sit for the Professional Engineer exam and gain Professional Engineering licensure.
- Analyzes challenges, defines successful solution alternatives and proactively solves problems.
- Passion and commitment to excellence in our highway design products.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and a wide variety of individuals involved in our development process.
- Motivated, friendly, inclusive and get-it-done attitude.
- Embraces and encourages a culture that thrives on innovative ideas and leading changes that result in effective process and project improvements.
- Brings a professional positive attitude to our team every day.
What we offer YOU:
- Competitive pay and benefits package including health, dental, flexible spending, and life insurance
- Insurance benefits start first of the month following 30 days of employment - Monthly insurance premium (Iowa Choice*):
- Single: $54/mo. employee share; $715/mo. state share
- Family: $180/mo. employee share; $1,624.00/mo. state share
- *Other insurance options available. Please review HERE (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader)
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid time off effective immediately - Biweekly vacation, separate sick leave, accruals rollover on a yearly basis, and 9 paid holidays per year
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package with employer match
- Optional 401A plan with employer contributions
- Employee Discount Programs from variety of vendors (vision, cellular, fitness, recreation, season passes, travel, counseling; legal, financial)
Excited to join the Iowa DOT team? Apply today!
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing any screening, interviewing, pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employment selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment/devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
097 Civil Engineering
6 months’ experience, 12 semester hours, or a combination of both in one or more of the following:
- Survey crew
- Construction inspector
- Professional civil engineer
- Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, mechanics, structural, or transportation engineering or in engineering management.
- Possession of a verification of graduation with major course work in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, mechanics, structural, or transportation engineering or in engineering management.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description. (Download PDF reader)
- Additional Qualification Requirements
Applicants hired with verification of graduation will be required to graduate with a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university within 10 months of hire.
Within a period of time after hire, as determined by the appointing authority, employees in this class may be required to obtain one or more of the following certificates, licenses, or endorsements:
- Certification as an engineer intern by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board
- Licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board is required within 9 years for continued employment; temporary training assignments will terminate within six months following a second attempt to obtain a professional engineer license or nine years from date of hire.