Located within walking distance of Iowa State University and only 30 minutes north of Des Moines, Gateway Hotel and Conference Center provides everything you need for a relaxing, productive stay.
Our 187 pet-friendly guest rooms and suites are 100% non-smoking and provide helpful amenities including complimentary Wi-Fi, in-room refrigerators and flat-screen TVs. Additional hotel amenities include free parking, a heated indoor pool, a hot tub, a sauna and a welcoming on-site restaurant.
Those hosting events in Ames can choose from over 17,000 square feet of space for gatherings of up to 850 guests. And in addition to close proximity to Iowa State University, we’re an easy drive from great golf, awe-inspiring outdoor attractions and other points of interest.
We’re always on the lookout for talented, passionate professionals eager to advance their hospitality careers. Browse our current job openings below – and if you don’t see anything that fits your skillset, feel free to send us your resume and we’ll contact you if an opportunity arises.
Job Purpose: To manage and execute successful restaurant service. To enthusiastically deliver first-class service and hospitality that exceeds guest expectations. Consistently delivering the GATEway, from when the first guest arrives to when the last guest leaves. To guarantee excellence of service and the success of the staff.
- Create a warm, welcoming atmosphere with professional greeting and timely seating
- Supervise restaurant floor to ensure food quality, presentation and services are in accordance with standards
- Monitor and support staff activity throughout shift
- Uphold health and safety standards
- Promote teamwork and communication between hotel departments
- Promote a fun work environment through a positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Responsible for resolving or escalating guest complaints and feedback through sharing and transparency
- Complete all shift paperwork, reports and cash management efficiently and accurately
- Responsible for coordinating restaurant reservations and events completely and accurately
- Maintain inherent attention to detail, and look for ways to continually improve
- Create and distribute weekly schedules and approve weekly timesheets
- Hire, train and coach front of house restaurant staff
- Maintain monthly inventories and control of liquor and equipment
- Enthusiastically deliver first-class service and hospitality via serving or bartending when required
- Leader in delivering the GATEway service standards and exemplifying Gateway Values
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have weekend availability
- High school diploma or GED
- A combined 2 – 3 years restaurant serving and or supervising experience or comparable customer service experience
- Able to work full-time hours, adjusting based on hotel occupancy and restaurant needs
- Ability to deliver first class customer service
- Professional communication skills to effectively communicate with staff, guests, and management
- Strong leadership skills, organizational and decision-making skills
- Ability to work confidently and independently
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Able to bend, climb stairs, and lift/transport 25-50 lbs