The Iowa State University Foundation is charged with the rewarding task of fundraising for the university. Together, we work as a team to expertly match our donors’ passions with Iowa State’s needs.
The first gift to Iowa State was made in 1899 by alumnus and former professor Edgar Stanton, who donated the original 10 bells of the Campanile. Without this first gift, and all the generous gifts since then, Iowa State’s campus would be completely different. The foundation honors this tradition today by finding new ways to move Iowa State University forward – whether through scholarship support, funding leading-edge facilities, creating new opportunities, or recruiting the best faculty.
This position collaborates with foundation colleagues and university partners to develop highly persuasive and personalized content for communications that help inspire and generate private and corporate support and steward donors.
Core responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Meet with and interview ISU Foundation and university colleagues to conduct research, create content strategy, and write concepts, proposals, case statements, impact reports, and other communications that inform, engage, and motivate individual, foundation, and corporate donor prospects to support Iowa State’s funding priorities.
- Employ persuasive writing techniques to convert audiences from interest to action.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget, and aligned with stakeholder expectations.
- Develop and maintain processes to streamline workflow, create efficiencies, and meet a growing demand for development communications needs.
- Edit copy for accuracy, effectiveness, and ISU Foundation style. Serve as an in-house expert in matters of grammar, usage, and style.
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects and progression of projects. Meet and manage multiple deadlines; inform team members and supervisor of potential issues.
Education & Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; preferably in communications, English, journalism, liberal arts, or related field.
- 3-5 years of professional experience, preferably in advancement communications. Prefer experience in proposal writing, grant writing, narrative non-fiction, creative writing, or marketing.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Advanced communication skills (both written and verbal). Attention to detail is essential.
- Demonstrated ability as a versatile, creative, and persuasive writer. A proven track record of funded proposals and/or grant applications is preferred.
- Ability to synthesize large quantities of information and turn institutional objectives into compelling cases for support.
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills; familiarity with AP style. Excellent listening and interviewing skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting; ability to navigate working with a variety of personalities.
- Must handle multiple activities simultaneously with attention and adherence to deadlines and accuracy.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Must be able to handle confidential information with a high level of discretion.
- Creativity, patience, a sense of humor and a belief in our organizational mission of: Aligning donor passion and generosity to advance Iowa State University’s land grant ideals.
Travel: No travel required
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Ames, IA; potentially hybrid
To apply, please include a resume and the three writing samples; preferably proposals or other examples of persuasive writing
For additional information, visit the following pages: