Gilbert sits along Highway 69 in Story County, Iowa. Located just North of the City of Ames and Iowa State University, Gilbert is a growing community with a small town atmosphere. The 2020 Census reports population at 1,211 and continues to steadily develop. Within the city’s 583 acres are 3 parks, a walking path, soccer fields, baseball and softball diamonds, churches, a library, a museum, 2 community rooms, multiple businesses and an excellent school system.
Residents of Gilbert have a strong sense of community which flows into energetic volunteerism. There are many active organizations and committee groups that work in partnership with both the City and the School District to improve the quality of life for citizens.
The City of Gilbert, Iowa is seeking a full-time Parks/Streets Supervisor to join our team. An employee in this position will have the responsibility for determining priority of all tasks subject to the direction of the mayor and action by City Council as well as communication with vendors and contractors. An employee in this position will be expected to perform a variety of work including but not limited to, supervising, planning, operations, repair, maintenance, and replacements of City parks and streets.
Skills needed include but not limited to:
- Coordinate, and perform all maintenance activities on City streets, sidewalks, and curbs such as grading, construction, repair, or replacement.
- Spray weeds along roadways, and City maintained sidewalks and paths, as needed.
- Coordinate, remove and supervise snow, ice and debris removal from streets and sidewalks as needed.
- Maintain grounds on all City property.
- Operate maintenance and construction equipment safely.
- Perform routine maintenance and repairs of equipment.
- Ability to work independently with intermittent direct supervision.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Interact courteously with the public.
- Problem solving ability appropriate to the work abilities.
- Perform job functions adhering to safety guidelines and policies set for by the administration and/or supervisor.
- Load and unload heavy objects (greater than fifty (50) pounds), material and supplies as needed.
- Perform manual labor for extended periods of time in inclement weather.
- Typically bends, stoops and crouches on a regular basis to perform duties.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Education – High School Diploma.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Class B CDL.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations involved in equipment operations.
- Knowledge and/or training in heavy equipment operation and maintenance.
- General knowledge of tools and equipment, including hand/power tools, and electronic equipment.
- General knowledge of trees, landscaping, and lawn care.
- State of Iowa Commercial Applicators license category 3T or ability to acquire within 6 months.
- Basic computer skills, MS Office Knowledge
- Must be able to pass a background test and drug/alcohol screening.
For more information about this opportunity or to see a full job description, please email the City Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org .To be considered for this position, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com .
This position will be posted until September 29, 2023.
PO BOX 29