Founded in 1979, WG Provisions has provided customers with unsurpassed high-quality meats, smoke house creations, life-improving biomedical products and business-building order fulfillment services. For over 40 years, WG Provisions has offered quality products and exceptional service proven by our loyal, long-standing customers. We create relationships that deliver the consistent quality and service needed to overcome our customers’ challenges. We're eager to talk to you!
For over 40 years, quality has been at the core of everything we do. Founded in 1979, WG Provisions has provided high quality meats and life-improving biomedical products. Our exclusive meats include: roasting pigs, rabbits, specialty meats, and fully cooked meats such as smoked brisket, shredded beef, and pulled pork. WG Provisions has offered quality products and exceptional service proven by our loyal, long-standing customers. We create relationships that deliver the consistent quality and service needed to overcome our customers’ challenges. Our company operates two USDA federally inspected harvesting and processing plants in Jewel and Sidney, Iowa.
We take great pride in the quality of our products as well as the safety of our products, facilities, operations, and employees. At WG Provisions, our core values are honesty, consistency, and teamwork. By living out those values, we foster an environment where employees and our customers can count on us.
This position is located at our Smokehouse in Jewell, Iowa. At this location, we produce high quality smoked meats that are sold throughout the United States to restaurants, food service operations, and caterers. Our smokehouse brands are known by our customers for excellent flavor, tenderness, and high-quality meats. The Production Supervisor position is an essential contributor to our success in maintaining this reputation in the industry.
The position requires a team player who has a can-do attitude, works effectively with a team, follows through, and gets the job done. The position requires working in an interdisciplinary team with a variety of tasks and challenges.
This position will train in all areas of the Smokehouse to learn our processes and develop management experience across the operation. Specific areas follow:
Production Oversight & Efficiency
- Responsible for shift staffing and executing the production schedule
- Assign responsibilities to team members, as required to meet planned production schedules.
- Ensure every position is filled before start-up of production line and job rotation to facilitate ergonomics
- Ensure team members are focused on tasks per schedule and working efficiently
- First line of responsibility to resolve active production issues working with Team Leads
- Check daily production orders to ensure fulfillment of customer orders
- Monitor and take action to improve key performance indicators
- Identify issues impacting efficiency and bring process improvement solutions to management
- Complete and ensure accurate and timely reporting of production data
- Ensure accurate shipments, rotation of inventory, and proper coding of products.
- Ensure all workstations have passed USDA inspection
- Keep management informed of the status of production and promptly notify management of issues impacting production
- Investigate production delays and take corrective action as necessary
- Actively promote adherence to plant Quality, Sanitation, GMP and HACCP standards to achieve a finished product within quality control specifications.
- Ability to perform complex jobs and train others in proper procedures to meet customer expectations.
Quality & Food Safety
- Ensuring all staff follow food safety and quality protocols
- Work with quality department to ensure product safety and quality
- Actively support all company and facility quality standards
- Lead team to identify potential quality issue and assist with resolution
- Accountability for ensuring quality and production processes are being performed per company and customer standards.
- Provide continuous leadership and education on the importance of quality
Team Leadership & Development
- Identify and coordinate staffing needs based on production requirements
- Train and develop production personnel
- Foster a team-oriented culture
- Participate with Production Manager in hiring, coaching evaluation, terminating, and discipline process for team members
- Provide encouragement to team members in order to build the best team possible.
- Provide continual leadership and guidance to team members for the purpose of increasing their effectiveness and establishing good working relationships.
- Work side by side with team members to mentor and provide guidance to the team.
- Coordinate the proper training of team members within the assigned department.
- Promote an environment conducive to teams, teamwork, and line-driven accountability.
- Actively promote plant safety and environmental programs and procedures that follow plant and regulatory requirements.
- Perform all duties within OSHA and company safety standards: LOTO, wear PPE and maintain safety equipment.
- Maintain a safe, clean, and organized work areas
- Immediately report all accidents and injuries to Production Manager
- Promote safety daily as well as through monthly safety meetings
- Verify all employees are following safety guidelines and if not, take action to ensure safety protocols are followed
Facility & Equipment
- Coordinate with maintenance department and Production Manager to manage equipment and facility
- Oversee staff to ensure facility/equipment is treated and used properly
- Recommend physical changes, improvements, and repairs to maintain or improve the condition of the plant or result in greater productivity, improved safety, etc.
- Ensure all machinery is performing to the highest standard possible and report issues to Production Manager and Maintenance Technician
- Establishes relationships with direct reports and within all company departments to effectively cultivate a culture in which proper sanitation, food safety, and quality goals are met
- Aid in administering policies established by the company. These will include but not be restricted to posted Plant Rules and Regulations and Attendance Policies.
- Have a strong understanding of all company operating procedures.
- Conduct themselves in such a manner, and encourage other employees to do the likewise, as will reflect positively on WG Provisions.
Other reasonable duties as requested
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline
- Ability to maintain high expectations for self and others, demonstrating a dedication to achievement of results.
- Ability to evaluate key performance indicators (KPI’s) and make improvements Experience with ensuring safety in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to work under pressure and to react to situations with a strong sense of urgency.
- Solid problem solving, project management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills Passion for quality in the agriculture, livestock, and meat industry
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Capable of working semi-independently and making on-the-spot decisions.
- Team oriented
- Problem solver
- Self-motivated and goal oriented
- Be a role model to other employees
- Enjoy working in a small company in a rural community
- Role model of integrity, sound judgement, personal responsibility, team player.
- Someone a team can “count on
Reports to: Smokehouse Senior Production Manager
Job Type: Full- time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to be successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand, crouch, bend, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, lift and/or move up to 50+ pounds, and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is a plant / office setting with varying degrees of temperatures and noise levels. Exposure to manufacturing equipment movement and wet / slippery floors.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
WG Provisions is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
WG Provisions provides the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new Team Member’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. IMPORTANT: If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, we are required to provide you written instructions and an opportunity to contact SSA and/or DHS before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. We do not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants or to re-verify current employees and may not limit or influence the choice of documents presented for use on the Form I-9. In order to determine whether Form I-9 documentation is valid, we use E-Verify’s photo screening tool to match the photograph appearing on some permanent resident and employment authorization cards with the official U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) photograph. If you believe that WG Provisions has violated our responsibilities under this program or has discriminated against you during the verification process based upon your national origin or citizenship status, please call the Office of Special Counsel at 1-800-255-7688 (TDD: 1-800-237-2515).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.