Located within walking distance of Iowa State University and only 30 minutes north of Des Moines, Gateway Hotel and Conference Center provides everything you need for a relaxing, productive stay.
Our 187 pet-friendly guest rooms and suites are 100% non-smoking and provide helpful amenities including complimentary Wi-Fi, in-room refrigerators and flat-screen TVs. Additional hotel amenities include free parking, a heated indoor pool, a hot tub, a sauna and a welcoming on-site restaurant.
Those hosting events in Ames can choose from over 17,000 square feet of space for gatherings of up to 850 guests. And in addition to close proximity to Iowa State University, we’re an easy drive from great golf, awe-inspiring outdoor attractions and other points of interest.
We’re always on the lookout for talented, passionate professionals eager to advance their hospitality careers. Browse our current job openings below – and if you don’t see anything that fits your skillset, feel free to send us your resume and we’ll contact you if an opportunity arises.
The Gateway Hotel & Conference Center is looking for a professional line cook to prepare menu items for the Iowa Stater Restaurant to the exacting standards and specifications set forth by the Executive Chef. The successful candidate will report directly to the Executive Sous and/or Sous Chef to help fulfill our mission to enthusiastically deliver first class hospitality that exceeds guest expectations.
- Set up and stock stations with necessary supplies, which include all food and food related products, equipment, utensils, towels, sanitation pail, etc.
- Prepare food for service which includes cutting of vegetables, fabricating meat, fish & poultry items, soups, sauces, slicing deli meats and other items as assigned and necessary for the successful completion of service.
- Cook menu items in accordance to the recipes and the direction of the kitchen management team.
- Maintain an organized (mise en place), clean & sanitary work area. Follow the “clean as you go” philosophy.
- Ensure all products are properly labeled, dated and rotated (FIFO) in accordance with Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals.
- Assess food items daily to ensure they meet quality standards set forth by the Executive Chef, discarding product that does not meet these standards, and bringing questionable items to the attention of the kitchen management team for their input.
- Follow established documentation procedures: (Cooling temperature log, waste log, product need list, etc.).
- Ensure ticket times are kept to a minimum (15 minutes) and the timing of execution produces food items minimally held on the expediting line (the pass).
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude and demeanor consistent with the Gateway Values.
- Demonstrate the attributes set forth in our Values: Honesty, Integrity, Enthusiastic, Positive Attitude, TEAMWORK, Caring for the Guest and Each Other, Professionalism, Sharing & Transparency – the good and the bad, Treat each other with Respect & Dignity, Always Learning, Work towards continuous improvement, Celebrate Cultural & Individual Diversity, HAVE FUN at Work!
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in a hotel, restaurant or similar venue.
- Weekend availability and flexibility is necessary.
- Must be able to squat, lift and push 50lbs.
- Excellent verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Must be able to execute assigned tasks in an accurate and timely manner (sense of urgency).
- Excellent understanding of the various cooking methods used in a professional kitchen, ingredients commonly used in a kitchen and kitchen equipment.
- Knowledge of basic sanitation techniques.
- Culinary degree or current enrollment in a culinary program.
- ServSafe (or equivalent) Food Handler or Food Manager Certificatio