We are looking for an individual who will own the People (Human Resources) function for Trace, has the aptitude and drive to grow into an HR Director type role, and is hungry to do and learn. Tech mindset is beneficial. Hands On as well as Strategic Partner to the CEO/President in organizational planning.
Hands on ownership and guiding of the Company’s People (HR) decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures. Ensure we are recruiting top talent, providing the resources and communications to engage our diverse workforce while keeping all of the people processes running smoothly. Supports the CEO / President in modeling and reporting HR data for the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees and helps with the recruiting, interviewing, and selection of candidates.
- Responsible for New Hire onboarding and exiting employee’s offboarding.
- Counsels management to effectively resolve performance corrective action and/or disciplinary issues.
- Maintains all HR related legal mandates, such as AAP, FLSA, HIPAA, FMLA, etc. Represents the company in legal cases.
- Develops and administers employee relations strategy to promote “Great Place to Work” culture
- Responsible for Human Resource Planning, Succession Planning, Compensation Planning and Career Development Planning.
- Develops, communicates, interprets, implements, and administers HR policies as needed. Participates in annual budget preparation.
- Responsible for and acts as administrator for various HR systems: BambooHR (HRIS), BSwift (benefits), ADP (payroll), Fidelity PSW (401k), GAdmin (Gmail, GDrive, GCal), Zoom (conferencing), Linkedin (recruiting), Lever (ATS), Docusign (doc signature & control), Kantola (Training), Navia (COBRA), Culture Amp (culture, feedback and perf mgmt), etc.
- Oversee Payroll activities and provide necessary information during review of semi-monthly payroll, and quarterly and year end reporting (through ADP and outsourced accounting team).
- Provide support and advice to the CEO / President and the Senior Leadership team on people and team matters.
- Acts as a strategic business partner to the Ames Innovation Center leadership team and other functional leadership as well as work well with all employees at all levels.
- Collaborate with the Controller.
- Collaborate with and support the Director of Lab Operations.
- Communicate with all levels of management regarding people policies and provide direction in the implementation of these policies.
- Implement processes to improve team efficiency.
- As needed, help develop and implement departmental goals and organizational structure, participate as a member of cross functional teams, focused on people, role clarification, organizational development and other improvement initiatives.
- Develop strong working relationships with peers and others.
- Develop strong working relationships with recruiters, benefits brokers, employment law firm, and other outside service providers.
- Other duties as required to support the needs of the business.
- BA/BS in Human Resources or Business. SHRM or HRCI Certification preferred
- Minimum 5 years in Human Resources Management.
- Start up or AgTech experience helpful.
- Knowledge of labor law, training and development, compensation and organizational design required.
- Strong understanding of federal and state labor laws and practices in IA and other states.
- Strong, self-reliant demeanor with superior planning, budgeting, organizational, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent leadership skills to motivate others, build trust, and create a collaborative team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to establish and maintain collaborative work relationships at all levels within the Company and with external business partners.
- Ability to identify, delegate and supervise critical path tasks and ensure completion under aggressive timelines.
- Strong initiative and desire to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent time and project management skills, as well as follow-through skills.
- Expertise in MS Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint as well as the G-Suite.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Strength in researching, understanding and succinctly explaining complex people challenges and business impact.
- Ability to assemble data / inputs and organize for strategic decision making.
- High degree of integrity to handle confidential information.
Key Personal Attributes Include
Committed to our core values: Customer-Driven, Scientific Integrity, Creative Problem Solving, Diversity & Inclusion, and Fearless Determination