The Iowa State University Foundation is charged with the rewarding task of fundraising for the university. Together, we work as a team to expertly match our donors’ passions with Iowa State’s needs.
The first gift to Iowa State was made in 1899 by alumnus and former professor Edgar Stanton, who donated the original 10 bells of the Campanile. Without this first gift, and all the generous gifts since then, Iowa State’s campus would be completely different. The foundation honors this tradition today by finding new ways to move Iowa State University forward – whether through scholarship support, funding leading-edge facilities, creating new opportunities, or recruiting the best faculty.
As a Development Unit Lead, you will manage the fundraising operation for the College of Design. This will include managing a development coordinator, frequently meeting with donors face-to-face in their homes, at events or hosting at a restaurant or coffee shop. Working each day to connect donors’ philanthropic interests with campus priorities, you will blend your professional knowledge, relationship building, developing programs and talent with philanthropic strategies.
Based on qualifications and experience, a selected candidate may hold one of these job titles: Director of Development or Senior Director of Development
Core Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead and manage the fundraising operation of the College of Design to meet the private support needs of the college.
- Collaborate and consult with the dean of the College of Design and college administrators to set fundraising priorities and develop strategies to achieve goals.
- Effectively translate ideas into action by designing fundraising plans tied to the priority needs of the college.
- Supervise the development coordinator for the College of Design. Provide coaching and guidance to help them achieve their personal and unit goals.
- Develop and implement appropriate stewardship activity for donors and prospects in assigned areas.
- Participate in strategic planning, cultivation, and stewardship of major, leadership, and principal gift prospects assigned to the college.
Education & Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree or professional certification preferred.
- 4+ years of professional experience in any of the following areas: major gift fundraising, non-profit work, higher education, sales, communications, or another related field. Experience managing professional fundraising staff and budget management.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Ability to achieve ambitious goals. You should have a remarkable track record for leading successful initiatives with measurable results.
- Strategic thinker, relationship builder, leadership skills, and excellent communicator. You should be articulate and persuasive with diplomacy and tact to represent the foundation to multiple constituents, donors, and campus leadership. You must also have demonstrable skills in persuasive speaking and influencing others.
- Problem-solving skills and resourcefulness. You can champion donor-centeredness by understanding the desires of the donors and creating simple solutions.
- Strong team orientation, a dedicated work ethic, and a positive and professional attitude.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple initiatives.
- Ability to use a variety of software applications.
- Creativity, patience, a sense of humor and a belief in our organizational mission of: Aligning donor passion and generosity to advance Iowa State University’s land grant ideals
Travel: Travel required
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Ames, IA; potentially hybrid
To APPLY please include the following items:
- Cover letter with salary requirements
- Three professional references’ names and contact information
For additional information, visit the following pages: