The Iowa State University Foundation is charged with the rewarding task of fundraising for the university. Together, we work as a team to expertly match our donors’ passions with Iowa State’s needs.
The first gift to Iowa State was made in 1899 by alumnus and former professor Edgar Stanton, who donated the original 10 bells of the Campanile. Without this first gift, and all the generous gifts since then, Iowa State’s campus would be completely different. The foundation honors this tradition today by finding new ways to move Iowa State University forward – whether through scholarship support, funding leading-edge facilities, creating new opportunities, or recruiting the best faculty.
As a key partner on the College of Engineering development team, you will prioritize how each day will unfold. Your work will directly impact the college’s strategies, goals, and overall success. From putting the important finishing touches on donor messages to maximizing the efficiency of a donor visit, your role could be the difference between a simple interaction and a lasting impression.
Based on qualifications and experience, a selected candidate may hold one of these job titles: Development Assistant or Senior Development Assistant.
Core Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide day-to-day administrative and operational support to the Engineering Development Office, working closely with development officers and staff, as well as College of Engineering and ISU Foundation partners.
- Schedule, maintain, update, and coordinate calendar entries for development officers.
- Support and assist with engineering development events including alumni receptions, ISU Foundation Governors, and special donor recognition opportunities.
- Monitor accuracy of information in databases and maintain updated donor/prospect information.
- Provide support to officers with drafting, proofing, editing, formatting, and finalizing correspondence to prospects and donors according to foundation standards. Document correspondence and call reports in database.
- Research, develop, and coordinate travel bookings and reservations.
- Oversee disbursement voucher processing and expense reimbursements for officers.
- Provide strategic administrative support for development staff including assisting with reports, creating Memorandum of Agreements, updating donor database, calling donors for visits, and assisting with other fundraising requirements.
- Plan and direct campus visits for individuals and corporations in conjunction with the College of Engineering and the ISU Foundation.
- Facilitate the development of background information, speaking points, and call objectives for the dean, department chair, and other engineering leaders as required for fundraising visits.
- 3+ years of professional experience related to employment area. Education may be substituted for years of work experience.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Strong experience with word processing, databases, and spreadsheets (Microsoft Office suite) along with the ability to learn in-house computer systems.
- Must possess excellent attention to detail and accuracy, communication skills (both written and verbal), editorial skills, judgement, organizational planning and diplomacy, and a professional attitude.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Must adhere to strict confidentiality standards.
- Creativity, patience, a sense of humor, and a belief in our organizational mission of: Aligning donor passion and generosity to advance Iowa State University’s land grant ideals.
Travel: No travel required
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Location: Ames, IA; potentially hybrid
For additional information, visit the following pages: