The mission of the Iowa DOT is to get you there safely, efficiently and conveniently. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day.
$73,569.60 - $113,152.00 Annually
Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
645 Iowa Department of Transportation
4/5/2023 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact
Stuart Nielsen, Stuart.Nielsen@iowadot.us
- Job Description
The Design Bureau is looking to hire a full-time Design Automation Engineer (Transportation Engineer Specialist). The successful candidate will provide engineering expertise benefiting the automation of engineering activities that enhance the production of Highway Design plans to fulfill our mission of Making Lives Better Through Transportation.
We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day.
Location: Ames Highway Design Team, Design Bureau
Shift: Days, Monday through Friday (Flexible, hybrid work schedules available.)
The purpose of this position, located within the Methods Section, in the Design Bureau, is to provide automation expertise in specialized areas of information technology including BIM, networking, implementation of hardware and software, and systems integration.
- Collaborate with numerous stakeholders to develop innovative transportation improvement plans.
- Work with at tam of 13 experts on the Methods Team, consisting of Automation, Standards / Design Manual, and the Americans with Disabilities (ADA) group.
- Provide expert recommendations to designers in house and staff throughout the Districts / Consultants.
- Evaluate, develop, and maintain computer programs to ensure accuracy and compliance with engineering principles and practices as defined by AASHTO and Iowa Dot standards.
- Act as the lead worker for the four members of the automation group and will oversee the CADD systems in the Design Bureau.
- Assess the automation needs of the Design Bureau for hardware and software using engineering knowledge, experience, and judgement to determine cost effective solutions while maintaining the integrity of productivity tools.
- Design software such as superelevation, geometrics, cross sections, earthwork volumes, etc. must be continually evaluated by the Design Automation Engineer to ensure these elements are computed accurately and according to AASHTO and IDOT design specifications and standards.
- Coordinate the automation efforts within the Design Bureau as well as with other offices.
- Attend conferences, seminars, and classes to maintain and expand engineering skills and knowledge.
- Ability to successfully utilize advanced software applications and work in a 3D design environment.
- Analyzes challenges, defines successful solution alternatives, and proactively solves problems.
- Passion and commitment to excellence in our highway design products.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and a wide variety of individuals involved in our development process.
- Embraces and encourages a culture that thrives on innovative ideas and leading changes that result in effective process and project improvements.
- Competitive pay and benefits package including health, dental, flexible spending, and life insurance
- Insurance benefits start first of the month following 30 days of employment - Monthly insurance premium (Iowa Choice*):
- Single: $54/mo. employee share; $715/mo. state share
- Family: $180/mo. employee share; $1,624.00/mo. state share
- *Other insurance options available. Please review HERE (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader)
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid time off effective immediately - Biweekly vacation, separate sick leave, accruals rollover on a yearly basis, and 10 paid holidays per year
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package with employer match
- Optional 401A plan with employer contributions
- Employee Discount Programs from variety of vendors (vision, cellular, fitness, recreation, season passes, travel, counseling; legal, financial)
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment / devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
- Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
1) All of the following (a and b):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. Two years of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering.2) All of the following (a, b, and c):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. One year of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering; and
c. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, structural, or transportation engineering; engineering management; or a field closely related to transportation engineering.3) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes one year of full-time work as a Transportation Engineer.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description (Download PDF reader).
- Additional Qualification Requirements
Prior to appointment, applicants must possess active licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.